Updated Dec 31, 2012 - 3:58 pm
Arizona Cardinals defenders hope Horton stays
May have, anyway.
With news that the Cardinals fired Ken Whisenhunt Monday came the natural question of who the team would get to replace him. Whisenhunt, after all, was in charge for the last six years and had some success, so people wonder what's next for the franchise.
It's been speculated that Horton would be in line for the job -- or a top job somewhere.
"That's the nature of the business, we know how it goes," Campbell said. "He will be a great head coach in this league, so I wouldn't be mad at him if that happened.
"It's just the way the business is, but I love playing for him and I hope I can play for him for a long time."
To a man, everyone on the defense was hopeful Horton would not go anywhere. Linebacker Daryl Washington said "hopefully he somehow does stay" and cornerback Patrick Peterson lamented the fact that the defense would have to start over if Horton left.
Every player understands it's possible Horton has coached them for the last time, though as of now it appears there's a chance one of the game's rising coaching stars will stick around.
"He's important to us," safety Kerry Rhodes said. "He's brought a different mentality for us on that side of the ball and he's a guy that we know is a hot commodity, we know that teams are going to come after him."
At a Monday afternoon press conference, team president Michael Bidwill confirmed that Horton will indeed be among the first candidates to be interviewed for the post.
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b