Updated Jan 2, 2013 - 9:57 am
Are Cardinals getting used by Andy Reid? Maybe
The deposed Philadelphia Eagles coach is arguably the highest-profile name on the market right now, and he would seem like a great fit for the Cardinals.
Career winning record? Check.
Ability to put together a good coaching staff? Check.
Name recognition for fans? Check.
Ability to coach quarterbacks? Not only a check, but maybe the biggest selling point for a Reid/Cardinals marriage.
However, as the day wore on reports went from Reid being almost certain to join the Cardinals to simply setting up an interview later in the week, and then word leaked out the coach was set to interview with the Kansas City Chiefs about their job opening before the Cards get a chance to talk with him.
Also, if you know agent Bob Lamonte's MO (reps Reid, Gruden, Holmgren), it sure looks like #Cardinals are the ones getting used.— Jason Cole (@JasonColeYahoo) January 2, 2013
A Yahoo! Sports NFL insider, Cole's suggestion is as interesting as it is disturbing. Could Reid be playing the Cardinals in an effort to get a better deal somewhere else? Maybe he has little interest in the Cardinals or his former QB Kevin Kolb, and would rather start fresh with the team that currently holds the top pick in the 2013 draft.
It would not be the first time the Cardinals were used as leverage for someone to head to Kansas City, as Vonnie Holliday's flirtation with Arizona in 2003 ultimately led to him getting a big offer from the Chiefs.
In a twist of irony, though, Holliday ended up with the Cardinals after all, albeit quite a few years later.
At any rate, until Reid signs on the dotted line for a different team Cole's report -- like everyone else's before him -- is merely speculation.
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.
- House of Cards Camp Awards - Friday August 22Doug & Wolf announce the winners of the 2014 House of Cards Camp Awards.
- Max Starks, Cardinals offenisve lineman - Friday August 22Cardinals offensive lineman Max Starks is excited to be reunited with Bruce Arians.
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Friday August 22Michael Bidwill discusses preparing for the Super Bowl without the help of the City of Glendale.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.