Updated Jan 2, 2013 - 9:57 am
Are Cardinals getting used by Andy Reid? Maybe
The deposed Philadelphia Eagles coach is arguably the highest-profile name on the market right now, and he would seem like a great fit for the Cardinals.
Career winning record? Check.
Ability to put together a good coaching staff? Check.
Name recognition for fans? Check.
Ability to coach quarterbacks? Not only a check, but maybe the biggest selling point for a Reid/Cardinals marriage.
However, as the day wore on reports went from Reid being almost certain to join the Cardinals to simply setting up an interview later in the week, and then word leaked out the coach was set to interview with the Kansas City Chiefs about their job opening before the Cards get a chance to talk with him.
Also, if you know agent Bob Lamonte's MO (reps Reid, Gruden, Holmgren), it sure looks like #Cardinals are the ones getting used.— Jason Cole (@JasonColeYahoo) January 2, 2013
A Yahoo! Sports NFL insider, Cole's suggestion is as interesting as it is disturbing. Could Reid be playing the Cardinals in an effort to get a better deal somewhere else? Maybe he has little interest in the Cardinals or his former QB Kevin Kolb, and would rather start fresh with the team that currently holds the top pick in the 2013 draft.
It would not be the first time the Cardinals were used as leverage for someone to head to Kansas City, as Vonnie Holliday's flirtation with Arizona in 2003 ultimately led to him getting a big offer from the Chiefs.
In a twist of irony, though, Holliday ended up with the Cardinals after all, albeit quite a few years later.
At any rate, until Reid signs on the dotted line for a different team Cole's report -- like everyone else's before him -- is merely speculation.
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.