Updated Jan 2, 2013 - 9:57 am
Are Cardinals getting used by Andy Reid? Maybe
The deposed Philadelphia Eagles coach is arguably the highest-profile name on the market right now, and he would seem like a great fit for the Cardinals.
Career winning record? Check.
Ability to put together a good coaching staff? Check.
Name recognition for fans? Check.
Ability to coach quarterbacks? Not only a check, but maybe the biggest selling point for a Reid/Cardinals marriage.
However, as the day wore on reports went from Reid being almost certain to join the Cardinals to simply setting up an interview later in the week, and then word leaked out the coach was set to interview with the Kansas City Chiefs about their job opening before the Cards get a chance to talk with him.
Also, if you know agent Bob Lamonte's MO (reps Reid, Gruden, Holmgren), it sure looks like #Cardinals are the ones getting used.— Jason Cole (@JasonColeYahoo) January 2, 2013
A Yahoo! Sports NFL insider, Cole's suggestion is as interesting as it is disturbing. Could Reid be playing the Cardinals in an effort to get a better deal somewhere else? Maybe he has little interest in the Cardinals or his former QB Kevin Kolb, and would rather start fresh with the team that currently holds the top pick in the 2013 draft.
It would not be the first time the Cardinals were used as leverage for someone to head to Kansas City, as Vonnie Holliday's flirtation with Arizona in 2003 ultimately led to him getting a big offer from the Chiefs.
In a twist of irony, though, Holliday ended up with the Cardinals after all, albeit quite a few years later.
At any rate, until Reid signs on the dotted line for a different team Cole's report -- like everyone else's before him -- is merely speculation.
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.