ESPN: Reid, Chiefs 'on verge of a deal'
Originally published: Jan 3, 2013 - 8:37 am
Arizona Cardinals coaching candidate Andy Reid is on the verge of a deal with the Kansas City Chiefs according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter.
Mortensen spoke with Mike & Mike on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday and discussed how the nine-hour meeting between Reid and the Chiefs went.
"The Chiefs were trying to close the deal with Andy Reid [on Wednesday]," Mortensen said. "At this point I'm going to be surprised if Andy Reid isn't the Chiefs coach. Now, I've been surprised before, but there is a lot of activity there.
"Someone would say, 'why Kansas City over Arizona?', well one thing is in Kansas City, Clark Hunt the owner of the Chiefs, will let Andy build this thing how he wants it."
The Chiefs' general manager is Scott Pioli.
Mortensen went on to say that Arizona has "more clutter" than Kansas City and that he believes the Chiefs, who have interviewed at least three coaches, will be the first domino to fall of all the open coaching positions.
Reid was originally scheduled to fly to Arizona after his meeting with Kansas City and interview with the Cardinals on Thursday.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.