Updated Jan 3, 2013 - 2:49 pm
ESPN NFL analyst: All about assistant coaches
One of the more likely scenarios would have Arizona promoting Ray Horton from defensive coordinator to head coach. Or, maybe, Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy will get the job.
Either way, it would appear the Cardinals may end up choosing someone without experience as a head coach, which is fine.
So long, of course, as he surrounds himself with quality assistants.
"I think it's absolutely critical now to be able to procure assistant coaches," ESPN NFL analyst Ron Jaworski told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday. "The head coaches have now become CEOs to a certain degree, and you better have rock-solid assistant coaches."
Jaworski notes that head coaches nowadays are more like CEOs of companies, men who need to delegate a multitude of tasks to those around them.
With regards to Horton, Jaworski said it's clear to see the guy knows how to coach a defense. But until he's actually been a head coach, the analyst said, you just don't know if he can handle the job.
"But when it comes to being a head coach, quite honestly guys, you just don't know," he said. "If a guy has not been a head coach, I always believe there's some risk involved."
Jaworski said "the unknown is a scary part" and that if it was up to him the choice would be someone with head coach experience.
"I think it's incumbent on the front office of all these teams looking for coaches," Jaworski said. "They need to develop their philosophy first. What do we want to be as an organization and as a football team?
"And find a guy that fits what they want to do, or else every three or four years you're going to have a new coach that's going to come in with a new philosophy and a new approach, and you're going to have one or two good years out of those four but you're always going to be looking for a new coach."
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!