Updated Jan 3, 2013 - 4:05 pm
ESPN insider: Cardinals just 'got beat' by Chiefs
Then Reid interviewed with the Kansas City Chiefs, and that idea flew out the window.
Word leaked early Thursday that Reid to the Chiefs was 'imminent', and that the Cardinals were in turn setting their sights on other options.
Given that it appears Arizona may have been used as leverage, people are wondering if the Cardinals "got played" by the Reid camp.
"I think they just got beat, more than anything else," ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday, noting a deal is not officially done yet. "I think you can see where structure wasn't going to work."
Clayton said Reid will have more freedom in Kansas City than he would have in Arizona, as Cardinals president Michael Bidwill is also searching for a new general manager as well as a coach. It's been reported that Reid would like to bring his own general manager along, and that may not have jived with what Arizona wanted to do.
But still, Reid had every intention of chatting with the Cardinals.
"Now, he planned to come out (to Arizona)," Clayton added. "Went nine hours [Wednesday], it went well.
Clayton said Reid and the Chiefs are now in the stage of working out contract numbers, figuring the coach will make around $7.5 to $8 million along with having plenty of control over personnel, which is a number the Cardinals may not have wanted any part of.
"That's why he called and cancelled the flights, and he still left it open for if things fall apart that he can go there, but he's going to end up in Kansas City."
- Karlos Dansby attracting many suitors for his services
- Report says Andre Roberts agrees to deal with Redskins
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?