Updated Jan 3, 2013 - 4:05 pm
ESPN insider: Cardinals just 'got beat' by Chiefs
Then Reid interviewed with the Kansas City Chiefs, and that idea flew out the window.
Word leaked early Thursday that Reid to the Chiefs was 'imminent', and that the Cardinals were in turn setting their sights on other options.
Given that it appears Arizona may have been used as leverage, people are wondering if the Cardinals "got played" by the Reid camp.
"I think they just got beat, more than anything else," ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday, noting a deal is not officially done yet. "I think you can see where structure wasn't going to work."
Clayton said Reid will have more freedom in Kansas City than he would have in Arizona, as Cardinals president Michael Bidwill is also searching for a new general manager as well as a coach. It's been reported that Reid would like to bring his own general manager along, and that may not have jived with what Arizona wanted to do.
But still, Reid had every intention of chatting with the Cardinals.
"Now, he planned to come out (to Arizona)," Clayton added. "Went nine hours [Wednesday], it went well.
Clayton said Reid and the Chiefs are now in the stage of working out contract numbers, figuring the coach will make around $7.5 to $8 million along with having plenty of control over personnel, which is a number the Cardinals may not have wanted any part of.
"That's why he called and cancelled the flights, and he still left it open for if things fall apart that he can go there, but he's going to end up in Kansas City."
- ESPN's Brock Huard says Seattle Seahawks' vulnerabilities are running game, penalties
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals - Dec. 20
- Double Coverage: Arizona Cardinals vs. Seattle Seahawks
- Marshawn Lynch presents another big challenge for Arizona Cardinals defense
- The biggest story was Carson Palmer, and here's why
- Brock Huard, ESPN Seattle analyst - Friday December 20Huard joins Burns & Gambo to talk about this Sundays Cardinals and Seahwaks game.
- Kurt Warner, former Cardinals QB - Friday December 20Kurt Warner talks about the improving Carson Palmer and the Cards' chances of making the playoffs.
- Wolf's 5 Star Games - Friday December 20Wolf gives his top 5 NFL games for this weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 20Wolf gives factors in the Cardinals upcoming game in Seattle.
- Michael Bidwell, President AZ Cardinals - Friday December 20The AZ Cardinals President discusses the upcoming game in Seattle.