Updated Jan 4, 2013 - 12:23 pm
ESPN insider: Mike McCoy is ready to be a head coach
The team, which has already interviewed defensive coordinator Ray Horton and reached out to Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Todd Haley, has an interview scheduled Saturday with Denver offensive coordinator Mike McCoy.
McCoy, ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, is ready to be a head coach.
"He's the hottest of all the assistant coaches, I don't think there's any doubt about that," he said.
McCoy, 50, was a finalist for the Miami job last offseason. He has been with the Broncos for four seasons after spending the previous nine on the Carolina Panthers staff. But it's his work with the Broncos that has garnered him the most attention.
Having led offenses run by Tim Tebow and Peyton Manning -- quarterbacks who could not be more different -- to the playoffs, McCoy appears to have a knack for getting the most out of the talent he has to work with.
"He not only deserves a head coaching job, but also too, I think, probably the Nobel Prize."
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.