NFL Analyst: 'Whisenhunt's going to get another shot'
When the Arizona Cardinals fired Ken Whisenhunt on Monday, many pundits around the league believed he would get a second chance as an NFL head coach.
Less than a week since his firing, Whisenhunt has already completed interviews with the Buffalo Bills and Cleveland Browns. With the Browns close to hiring Oregon innovator and one of the hottest head coaching candidates on the market, Chip Kelly, many wonder if Whisenhunt will indeed wind up taking the reins in Buffalo.
CBS Sports NFL Analyst Steve Tasker told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Friday he hasn't been privy to the talks between Whisenhunt and the Bills, but he wouldn't be surprised if the former Cardinals head coach landed with the Bills.
"Don't be surprised when Ken Whisenhunt gets another head coaching job and it may well be in Buffalo," Tasker said. "I am sure that he's on their short list and we'll see how it comes out. I don't have any special insight into how that interview process went with Whisenhunt."
Tasker said he understands Cardinals fans might be unable to fathom how Whisenhunt could potentially get another head coach gig so quickly, but he believes with the right personnel the 50-year-old could be quite successful in a new environment.
"Don't kid yourself, [Whisenhunt's] going to get another shot at a head coaching job," Tasker said. "He got [the Cardinals] to the Super Bowl. When he had a good quarterback, he's a pretty good coach. And every coach I've ever spoken to will tell you they go from the village idiot to the Coach of the Year as soon as they get good players."
Whisenhunt interviewed with Bills' brass on Wednesday night in Arizona. He was 45-51 in six seasons with the Cardinals and 27-21 and 4-2 in the playoffs in three seasons with two-time MVP quarterback Kurt Warner.
- Arizona Cardinals sign a pair of defensive lineman
- All-Access with Arians: Dockett to have surgery, Mathieu and Ta'amu back
- Arizona Cardinals begin to move on without Darnell Dockett
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.