Updated Jan 8, 2013 - 10:13 pm
Former Cardinals QB Kurt Warner weighs in on Keim, head coaching search
The Arizona Cardinals hired their new general manager on Tuesday, promoting vice president of player personnel Steve Keim.
Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Tuesday he expected to see Keim take over the GM reins.
"I wasn't surprised at all," Warner said. "I know they did their due diligence and reached out and looked some other places but [Keim]'s done a great job for them. I know everybody there really likes what he's done."
Keim has been with the Cardinals since 1999 in a variety of roles including scout, director of college scouting and director of player personnel.
Warner felt team brass had "high regard for what he's done and what he's brought to the organization" and feel confident he will thrive in his new role.
"I think they knew and just kind of had that holding there and were going to check other people out but always knew he was going to be a viable guy for that position because of what he's done," Warner said.
While the Cardinals now have their new general manager, they still remain without a head coach. The team has interviewed defensive coordinator Ray Horton, Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and have a meeting scheduled with Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden on Thursday.
Warner was mum on who he thinks should win the job but did say it's hard to tell which coaches will be successful in the NFL.
"There's a lot of guys out there whether it's college ranks or in the pros that probably could be great head coaches," Warner explained. "I don't think you ever really know that until they are in the position so I can only speak to guys that I know personally that have been head coaches and how they've handled those situations more so than somebody you're taking a shot on."
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?