Updated Jan 8, 2013 - 10:13 pm
Former Cardinals QB Kurt Warner weighs in on Keim, head coaching search
The Arizona Cardinals hired their new general manager on Tuesday, promoting vice president of player personnel Steve Keim.
Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Tuesday he expected to see Keim take over the GM reins.
"I wasn't surprised at all," Warner said. "I know they did their due diligence and reached out and looked some other places but [Keim]'s done a great job for them. I know everybody there really likes what he's done."
Keim has been with the Cardinals since 1999 in a variety of roles including scout, director of college scouting and director of player personnel.
Warner felt team brass had "high regard for what he's done and what he's brought to the organization" and feel confident he will thrive in his new role.
"I think they knew and just kind of had that holding there and were going to check other people out but always knew he was going to be a viable guy for that position because of what he's done," Warner said.
While the Cardinals now have their new general manager, they still remain without a head coach. The team has interviewed defensive coordinator Ray Horton, Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and have a meeting scheduled with Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden on Thursday.
Warner was mum on who he thinks should win the job but did say it's hard to tell which coaches will be successful in the NFL.
"There's a lot of guys out there whether it's college ranks or in the pros that probably could be great head coaches," Warner explained. "I don't think you ever really know that until they are in the position so I can only speak to guys that I know personally that have been head coaches and how they've handled those situations more so than somebody you're taking a shot on."
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Able to walk again, Arizona Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper takes another step toward return
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu front-runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year honor
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 4
- Tight ends torching Arizona Cardinals' defense, but it's not as bad as you think
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.
- Bickley Blast 12-2-13 - Monday December 2Bickley Blast: Cardinals officials