Updated Jan 9, 2013 - 12:24 pm
Former Cardinal Warner understands why Whisenhunt was fired
Warner -- being the player and man that he is -- had strong feelings towards the hiring of Steve Keim and firing of his former coach, Ken Whisenhunt.
He understood the due process of head coaching positions in the NFL, and knew the reasoning behind the Cardinals' immediate actions after a second 5-11 season in three years.
"When you're struggling, that's what people are going to remember first," Warner said for the reason behind Whisenhunt's firing, amongst others across the league. "That's obviously why he (Whisenhunt) doesn't have a job here in Arizona."
While the firing was rightfully earned in Warner's eyes, he says it doesn't deplete the value of Whisenhunt's stock.
"Look what coach Whisenhunt did here with this organization. No success for however long, he comes in, turns it around, wins a couple division championships, goes to the Super Bowl," Warner said. "(He) did some amazing things that nobody has really done here before. That to me is why you have to give a strong look to somebody like Coach Whisenhunt."
Outside of Whisenhunt and the Cardinals, the other six head coaching vacancies came due to lackluster performances throughout -- or to close out -- the season.
"It's unfortunate, but that's what happens in the business," he said. "When you lose and you get fired, people are going to remember that first."
However, he believes Whisenhunt and former Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith are two coaches still available that any NFL team should jump at having.
"They're great head coaches and should be hot commodities because of what they bring to the table," Warner said.
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!