Updated Jan 9, 2013 - 12:24 pm
Former Cardinal Warner understands why Whisenhunt was fired
Warner -- being the player and man that he is -- had strong feelings towards the hiring of Steve Keim and firing of his former coach, Ken Whisenhunt.
He understood the due process of head coaching positions in the NFL, and knew the reasoning behind the Cardinals' immediate actions after a second 5-11 season in three years.
"When you're struggling, that's what people are going to remember first," Warner said for the reason behind Whisenhunt's firing, amongst others across the league. "That's obviously why he (Whisenhunt) doesn't have a job here in Arizona."
While the firing was rightfully earned in Warner's eyes, he says it doesn't deplete the value of Whisenhunt's stock.
"Look what coach Whisenhunt did here with this organization. No success for however long, he comes in, turns it around, wins a couple division championships, goes to the Super Bowl," Warner said. "(He) did some amazing things that nobody has really done here before. That to me is why you have to give a strong look to somebody like Coach Whisenhunt."
Outside of Whisenhunt and the Cardinals, the other six head coaching vacancies came due to lackluster performances throughout -- or to close out -- the season.
"It's unfortunate, but that's what happens in the business," he said. "When you lose and you get fired, people are going to remember that first."
However, he believes Whisenhunt and former Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith are two coaches still available that any NFL team should jump at having.
"They're great head coaches and should be hot commodities because of what they bring to the table," Warner said.
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.