ESPN NFL insider: Mike McCoy the 'leader in the clubhouse' for Cardinals job
"I honestly think it could be Mike McCoy," he said. "When you look at it, Mike McCoy is probably the hottest of the assistant coaches."
McCoy, who interviewed with the Cardinals last Saturday, is looked at as one of the top assistant coaches ready to make the leap to the head job.
An assistant on the Carolina Panthers' staff from 2000-2008, the Broncos hired McCoy to run their offense in 2008. He's credited for being able to get the most out of the talent he has to work with on offense, which has to be intriguing to a team like Arizona.
"He was able to work so well with Peyton Manning and he's done so well when he worked with Jake Delhomme," continued Clayton. "He's ready, and so he would be the hottest guy.
"When you start to handicap it, knowing that they have a good chance to go to the Super Bowl or at the very least they're going to be in the championship game, you have to wait for Mike McCoy."
And therein lies the rub with regards to McCoy. While a team like the Cardinals may want him and he may want the Cardinals, he cannot go anywhere until the Broncos are eliminated from the playoffs. And as the AFC's top seed, there is a good chance they'll be playing in Super Bowl XLVII.
"If you have the defensive staff in place and you know what you want to try to do on offense, then I think you're in a position to get Mike McCoy," Clayton said. "I think Mike McCoy is the leader in the clubhouse if this team is willing to wait."
- ESPN's Clayton: Cardinals were a free agency winner
- Football player Daryl Washington pleads not guilty
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington pleads 'not guilty'
- CBSSports.com writer: Cardinals' Cooper to have 'big impact' during rookie season
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals QB Carson Palmer a 'stopgap'
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.