A crazy 24 hours in Arizona sports history
To summarize what happened, the Cardinals interviewed Bruce Arians for the head coaching job amidst rumors that they would lose defensive coordinator Ray Horton if the Colts OC got the head coaching job.
Later in the evening, Arians got the job and it was reported that Horton was indeed out in Arizona.
Of course, this happened while the Suns were in the process of losing to the Milwaukee Bucks, which dropped their record to a Western Conference-worst 13-28 on the season.
Then Friday morning, word came out that the Suns and head coach Alvin Gentry had parted ways.
Let's take a look at how it all went down through the eyes of the Arizona Sports 620 Twitter feed:
~ 1:30 p.m.
#Cardinals candidate Bruce Arians says as coach he would call offensive plays until he finds someone who can do it better than he does.— Arizona Sports 620 (@AZSports620) January 17, 2013
RT @kyndra620: Arians says cant comment on staff that are under contract (Horton) and that's something that's way down the road.— Arizona Sports 620 (@AZSports620) January 17, 2013
Alright, good stuff. Arians gave good answers to some tough questions and appeared to be interested in the job. But would he get it? That question would be answered hours later.
~ 6:30 p.m.
Ahh cool, the Cardinals' search for a coach finally ended. Sure, Arians isn't an exciting hire, but he may very well be a good one. But what will become of Horton?
~ 7:30 p.m.
So much for that, now Valley fans are going to have to come to grips with the fact that a popular and successful coach is leaving town, that stinks. At least the Suns are going to beat the Bucks, right? They always top Milwaukee at home.
~ 9:23 p.m.
FINAL - Bucks 98 @suns 94: Phoenix drops its first home game vs. MIL since 1987 and falls to 13-28 on the season.— Arizona Sports 620 (@AZSports620) January 18, 2013
Well that's not good, but at least the day has come to a close. Friday will bring with it a press conference for the Cards' new coach, and with it some optimism. We could use some good news.
Yeah, about that...
~ 11:00 a.m. (Friday)
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.