Updated Jan 28, 2013 - 7:06 am
Mass. writer suggests quarterback Tom Brady would be a perfect fit for the Cardinals
That's the only logical explanation one can give for Hector Longo's piece in the Sunday edition of the Eagle-Tribune.
It's been nine years since the Patriots last claimed a Super Bowl title, and Longo suggests that a change might be needed in Foxboro.
What kind of change you ask?
Longo says the team should look into trading two-time NFL MVP and soon-to-be Canton-bound quarterback Tom Brady. Although Longo still believes Brady is an elite quarterback, after yet another disappointing postseason performance he's not convinced that the team has enough championship-caliber parts to ever get back to their Lombardi Trophy-winning days.
So what team does Longo think would be the best fit for the eight-time Pro Bowler's services?
Bruce Arians and the Arizona Cardinals.
First and foremost, the Cardinals can't hurt you. In the NFC West, Brady is as far away as possible. Unless he plays another five years — highly unlikely — the only place you'll encounter Brady again on the field of battle is at a Super Bowl.
The Cardinals have the ammunition to attract the Patriots to the negotiating table. Remember, they pick at No. 7, an attractive spot for this draft, which has already been fortified by over 70 underclassmen.
Arizona also has incredible need. Most draftniks currently have the Cards dabbling with the likes of USC QB Matt Barkley or West Virginia's Geno Smith in the first round.
For a team that played four quarterbacks in 2012 and was 28th in passing offense it's nice to dream, but it's hard to fathom Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft parting ways with the face of their franchise.
Regardless, after hearing names like Michael Vick and Alex Smith projected as free agent targets for the Cardinals, a Brady rumor now and again never hurt anyone.
And for a town that has had it's fair share of news lately, what's one more major headline, right?
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals look to continue success against AFC South teams
- Arizona Cardinals sign Orhian Johnson to practice squad
- Arizona Cardinals' John Abraham named NFC Defensive Player of the Week
- Warner: Palmer's 'confidence in his playmakers' leading to turnaround
- Cardinals place Mathieu on season-ending IR
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up