Updated Jan 28, 2013 - 7:06 am
Mass. writer suggests quarterback Tom Brady would be a perfect fit for the Cardinals
That's the only logical explanation one can give for Hector Longo's piece in the Sunday edition of the Eagle-Tribune.
It's been nine years since the Patriots last claimed a Super Bowl title, and Longo suggests that a change might be needed in Foxboro.
What kind of change you ask?
Longo says the team should look into trading two-time NFL MVP and soon-to-be Canton-bound quarterback Tom Brady. Although Longo still believes Brady is an elite quarterback, after yet another disappointing postseason performance he's not convinced that the team has enough championship-caliber parts to ever get back to their Lombardi Trophy-winning days.
So what team does Longo think would be the best fit for the eight-time Pro Bowler's services?
Bruce Arians and the Arizona Cardinals.
First and foremost, the Cardinals can't hurt you. In the NFC West, Brady is as far away as possible. Unless he plays another five years — highly unlikely — the only place you'll encounter Brady again on the field of battle is at a Super Bowl.
The Cardinals have the ammunition to attract the Patriots to the negotiating table. Remember, they pick at No. 7, an attractive spot for this draft, which has already been fortified by over 70 underclassmen.
Arizona also has incredible need. Most draftniks currently have the Cards dabbling with the likes of USC QB Matt Barkley or West Virginia's Geno Smith in the first round.
For a team that played four quarterbacks in 2012 and was 28th in passing offense it's nice to dream, but it's hard to fathom Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft parting ways with the face of their franchise.
Regardless, after hearing names like Michael Vick and Alex Smith projected as free agent targets for the Cardinals, a Brady rumor now and again never hurt anyone.
And for a town that has had it's fair share of news lately, what's one more major headline, right?
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.