Updated Jan 28, 2013 - 3:36 pm
Patrick Peterson mentors former LSU star Tyrann Mathieu
The LSU Tiger defensive back registered 76 total tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss and intercepted two passes. But he also showed a nose for the end zone -- scoring four touchdowns on punt returns and fumble returns for the BCS runner up. He won the Bednarik Award as the nation's best defensive player and was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy.
In 2012, Mathieu made headlines off the football field. LSU head coach Les Miles suspended the junior-to-be for a violation of team rules. Rumors floated that Mathieu would transfer to another school to continue his collegiate football career, but he did not. Mathieu was arrested for possession of marijuana last October.
Mathieu opted to make himself eligible for the NFL Draft, and is in Arizona training for the event with a former college teammate -- two-time Cardinals Pro Bowler Patrick Peterson.
Yahoo! Sports chronicled the work Peterson is doing with Mathieu for a video called "Outside the Game."
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.