Updated Jan 29, 2013 - 3:09 pm
NFL writer thinks Rashard Mendenhall could fit in Arizona
Those questions have to do with the running back position. Beanie Wells had an entirely forgettable 2012 season, running for only 234 yards on 88 carries while battling injuries throughout the campaign.
Second-year running back Ryan Williams suffered a shoulder injury early in the season and was limited to just 58 carries.
In other words, the Cardinals, who finished last in the league in rushing in 2012, need help at the position.
Evan Silva, an NFL editor for Rotoworld and writer for NBC Sports, tweeted out a possible solution earlier this week.
New #Cardinals HC Bruce Arians once compared Rashard Mendenhall to Edgerrin James. Arizona would be sensible landing spot for Mendenhall.— Evan Silva (@evansilva) January 28, 2013
Mendenhall has spent his entire five-year NFL career with the Pittsburgh Steelers after being a first round draft pick out of Illinois in 2008.
But he too has been plagued by injuries during his career. His rookie season was cut short by a shoulder injury suffered in a Week 4 game against the Baltimore Ravens.
Mendenhall also suffered a torn right ACL in the season finale against the Cleveland Browns in 2011 -- an injury that spilled over to 2012 and held him to just 182 yards rushing on 51 carries.
The 5-foot-10, 225-pound back also was suspended by the Steelers for not showing up to a game against the San Diego Chargers December 9.
Mendenhall is a free agent and isn't expected to re-sign with the Steelers. He's played under Arians, who was Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator for the first four years of his career.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.