Updated Feb 3, 2013 - 3:18 pm
Report: Former Cardinals RB Stump Mitchell to be running backs coach
However, according to Mike Jurecki of XTRA Sports 910 in Phoenix, Valley fans might recognize who Arians has reportedly picked to be the team's new running backs coach.
Hearing Stump Mitchell will be the Cards RB's coach, played for the St. Louis/ Phx Cards 81-89... HC @ Casa Grande HS, Morgan St. & Southern— Mike Jurecki (@mikejurecki) February 3, 2013
As Jurecki noted, Mitchell played all nine of his NFL seasons with the Cardinals, both in St. Louis and Phoenix. During his two years at Sun Devil Stadium, Mitchell ran for 891 yards and four touchdowns.
Following his playing days, Mitchell went on to coach in the high school ranks, leading Casa Grande High School from 1993 to 1994.
He had his first taste of coaching in the NFL in 1999, when he served as the Seattle Seahawks running backs coach for eight years. Under Mitchell's tutelage, Seattle running back Shaun Alexander claimed the franchise's first MVP award in 2005.
In 2008, Mitchell served in the same role with Washington and the Redskins finished with the eighth-best rushing offense (130.9 yards per game) in the league.
Mitchell spent the last two-plus seasons as the head coach of Southern University. However after a rough start in 2012, he was reassigned to another position.
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.