Updated Feb 4, 2013 - 10:33 pm
Warner: Trading for Alex Smith wouldn't 'cost that much'
The San Francisco 49ers may have plenty of suitors for quarterback Alex Smith this offseason, with the Arizona Cardinals possibly joining the mix.
Smith, who has become expendable to the 49ers after the emergence of second-year signal caller Colin Kaepernick, could be an ideal fit for a Cardinals team that still lacks an impact quarterback.
Former Cardinals QB and NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday he thinks Smith can be had at a reasonable price.
"First of all, I think San Francisco as a gesture to him is going to let him go. So I don't think it's going to cost that much," Warner said. "I think a three or a four [draft pick] would be my guess on what you had to give up to get him. So I don't think the cost is too high for a guy that can win at this level and shows what he brings to the table."
Smith has suffered his fair share of ups and downs, posting a 19-31 record over his first five seasons in the league. But he appeared to turn a corner last year, en route to a 19-5-1 record.
In 2012, Smith seemed in position to lead the 49ers for the foreseeable future, before a concussion derailed one of the best seasons of his career.
San Francisco then went on to post a 7-2 record with the dynamic Kaepernick at the helm before losing in the Super Bowl.
Smith's future is now up in the air, but he stands to be a popular target in trade talks this offseason. While the Cardinals seem like a logical fit for the 28-year-old quarterback, Warner said it's important for Smith to find a system that plays to his strengths.
"I think that's going to be the key for Alex Smith and whoever brings him in is make sure what you're going to do and how your team is built fits Alex Smith and if you're Alex Smith try to do the same thing," Warner said.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.