Updated Feb 6, 2013 - 1:37 pm
NFL insider: Kevin Kolb a possible cap casualty
Though clearly the team's best option at the position last season, his production over two years with the team does not exactly warrant the high salary he is scheduled to make.
The 28-year-old has appeared in just 15 of a possible 32 games over the last two seasons. Sure, he's thrown for 17 touchdowns and been picked off just 11 times, but the Cardinals certainly expected more when they traded for the QB and signed him to a contract extension.
Now with a new coaching staff in charge, it's possible Kolb's time with the team has come to an end.
According to CBSSports NFL insider Jason LaCanfora,, Kolb is one of many players who could be in line to become a "cap casualty" over the next couple months.
Kevin Kolb, Cardinals ($9 million salary, plus $2 million roster bonus): He won't make that kind of money to stay, and I can't imagine Kolb getting the roster bonus, though if he's willing to settle for more like $5 million there could still be an opportunity for him in Arizona.
Bruce Arians, the new coach, has previously said he believes Kolb can be a good QB if given time to throw, so it stands to reason he's probably not anxious to cut ties with the former Eagle.
However, the move -- if it's made -- may have more to do with what Kolb is making off the field rather than how he's performing on it.
And for what it's worth, LaCanfora also notes QBs Michael Vick, Carson Palmer, Alex Smith, Matt Cassel, Matt Hasselbeck and Matt Flynn could also find themselves on the chopping block, so the Cardinals may have some options to replace Kolb if necessary.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals re-sign NT Alameda Ta'amu
- Arizona Cardinals hire former Olympic runner Roger Kingdom as assistant trainer
- Jay Feely sounds off on proposed extra point changes
- Kicker Jay Feely wants to be back with Arizona Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!