Updated Feb 6, 2013 - 1:37 pm
NFL insider: Kevin Kolb a possible cap casualty
Though clearly the team's best option at the position last season, his production over two years with the team does not exactly warrant the high salary he is scheduled to make.
The 28-year-old has appeared in just 15 of a possible 32 games over the last two seasons. Sure, he's thrown for 17 touchdowns and been picked off just 11 times, but the Cardinals certainly expected more when they traded for the QB and signed him to a contract extension.
Now with a new coaching staff in charge, it's possible Kolb's time with the team has come to an end.
According to CBSSports NFL insider Jason LaCanfora,, Kolb is one of many players who could be in line to become a "cap casualty" over the next couple months.
Kevin Kolb, Cardinals ($9 million salary, plus $2 million roster bonus): He won't make that kind of money to stay, and I can't imagine Kolb getting the roster bonus, though if he's willing to settle for more like $5 million there could still be an opportunity for him in Arizona.
Bruce Arians, the new coach, has previously said he believes Kolb can be a good QB if given time to throw, so it stands to reason he's probably not anxious to cut ties with the former Eagle.
However, the move -- if it's made -- may have more to do with what Kolb is making off the field rather than how he's performing on it.
And for what it's worth, LaCanfora also notes QBs Michael Vick, Carson Palmer, Alex Smith, Matt Cassel, Matt Hasselbeck and Matt Flynn could also find themselves on the chopping block, so the Cardinals may have some options to replace Kolb if necessary.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.