Updated Feb 6, 2013 - 1:37 pm
NFL insider: Kevin Kolb a possible cap casualty
Though clearly the team's best option at the position last season, his production over two years with the team does not exactly warrant the high salary he is scheduled to make.
The 28-year-old has appeared in just 15 of a possible 32 games over the last two seasons. Sure, he's thrown for 17 touchdowns and been picked off just 11 times, but the Cardinals certainly expected more when they traded for the QB and signed him to a contract extension.
Now with a new coaching staff in charge, it's possible Kolb's time with the team has come to an end.
According to CBSSports NFL insider Jason LaCanfora,, Kolb is one of many players who could be in line to become a "cap casualty" over the next couple months.
Kevin Kolb, Cardinals ($9 million salary, plus $2 million roster bonus): He won't make that kind of money to stay, and I can't imagine Kolb getting the roster bonus, though if he's willing to settle for more like $5 million there could still be an opportunity for him in Arizona.
Bruce Arians, the new coach, has previously said he believes Kolb can be a good QB if given time to throw, so it stands to reason he's probably not anxious to cut ties with the former Eagle.
However, the move -- if it's made -- may have more to do with what Kolb is making off the field rather than how he's performing on it.
And for what it's worth, LaCanfora also notes QBs Michael Vick, Carson Palmer, Alex Smith, Matt Cassel, Matt Hasselbeck and Matt Flynn could also find themselves on the chopping block, so the Cardinals may have some options to replace Kolb if necessary.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 27, 2014
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.