Updated Feb 7, 2013 - 1:36 pm
Cards OC Goodwin: Fix the line, fix the QBs
Much of Goodwin's focus will be on the offensive line, which is his forte, and as he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday, fixing that issue could solve other problems the team had.
"The thing that stood out to me, and I've watched most of the quarterbacks, is just being able to protect the quarterback," he said. "The thing I like to say is the quarterbacks probably got a little gun-shy last year but hey, that can be fixed."
Goodwin said better protection, a better run game and keeping down and distance manageable would go a long way towards helping the quarterbacks.
Cardinals quarterbacks were sacked a league-most 58 times last season, and Arizona's running game was last in the league in total yards. So there is certainly room to improve, and Goodwin believes that may be the key to fixing the quarterback woes.
"Just try to take some of that pressure off those guys to make plays at the quarterback position, but I like the guys and obviously we can do a better job of coaching them up," he said.
Goodwin admitted that if the coaching staff cannot coax better play out of a group that consists of Kevin Kolb, John Skelton, Ryan Lindley and Brian Hoyer that "door number two" may be where the Cardinals find their QB.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Arizona Cardinals agree to terms with Oakland Raiders LT Jared Veldheer
- Arizona Cardinals react to Karlos Dansby's departure
- Arizona Cardinals to lose LB Karlos Dansby to Cleveland Browns
- Karlos Dansby attracting many suitors for his services
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?