Updated Feb 17, 2013 - 10:14 am
CBSSports.com: Cardinals CB Greg Toler tops under-the-radar free agents list
Or at least that's what CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco thinks.
This week, Prisco mined the pool of potential free agents and through his findings concluded that cornerback Greg Toler was the top under-the-radar player set to hit the market this spring.
After being selected in the fourth round out St. Paul's College (Virginia) by Arizona back in 2009, Toler didn't take long moving up the ranks of the Cardinals secondary. In 2010, Toler earned 13 starts opposite Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and recorded a career-high 90 tackles.
However, after missing the entire 2011 campaign due to an ACL injury sustained in the preseason, Toler has been limited in his ability to prove his worth as a must-have cornerback (only two starts in 2012).
Still, Prisco said that based on Toler's film, the 28-year-old impresses with his man-to-man coverage skills and a rare willingness to tackle.
That's the one thing that surprised me on tape: His willingness to tackle. He throws his body around, but he's also more than capable of staying with good receivers. He can play press-man, off-man and he seems comfortable playing zone.
Toler, who had 27 total tackles and two interceptions last season, signed a one-year deal with the Cardinals in March 2012 for $1.26 million. Despite his previous health concerns and an incomplete body of work, Prisco believes Toler should command a decent chunk of change in free agency.
Toler has a ton of talent. He is physical. He is fast. And he can cover. With a little polish, he has a real chance to be a quality corner in the league -- one worth a solid deal in free agency, but not necessarily the huge dollars.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!