Updated Feb 21, 2013 - 11:49 am
Arians: Not interested in running QB for Cardinals
Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick both led their teams to the playoffs last season, and both figure to be effective for years to come.
And, part of what makes each of them so good is their ability to run as well as pass.
Teams have been trending towards adding mobile quarterbacks of late, with the likes of Cam Newton, Robert Griffin III and Jake Locker all selected in the top 10 of recent drafts.
However, don't expect the Cardinals to follow suit.
"Give defensive coordinators in the National Football League credit, they'll have time to study this new trend that's happening right now in the NFL," new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. "I'm not a believer in putting my quarterback in harm's way; I think a lot of harm will come to him.
"I'm more of a traditionalist."
What does that mean for the Cardinals as they continue to search for a quarterback? John Skelton and Ryan Lindley are more pocket-style passers while Kevin Kolb tends to be more comfortable running around a bit.
As for the draft, the top-ranked passer appears to be West Virginia's Geno Smith, who is mobile yet is not apt to just take off and run. Prospects Matt Barkley, Mike Glennon and Tyler Wilson do most of their work from the pocket as well, albeit without Smith's mobility.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Antonio Cromartie: Arizona Cardinals ‘most talented secondary' he has been a part of
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Bobby Massie in 'best shape of his career'
- Personnel and penumbras
- Arizona Cardinals' Alex Okafor's transition to linebacker is complete
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim likes what he's seen from rookie John Brown
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi