Updated Feb 25, 2013 - 4:42 pm
John Clayton: You just don't get excited about this year's rookie QBs
But if that was indeed the case, they may be leaving with a different idea. Because, according to ESPN NFL insider John Clayton, no one really helped themselves over the weekend.
"I thought this was going to be one where one or two or three quarterbacks who have been working out for five, six weeks, testing everything and trying to get their games better, I thought somebody was going to light it up and nobody lit it up," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "But that doesn't mean they're not going to go in the first round; it just means they're going to go in a lower part of the first round."
West Virginia's Geno Smith, USC's Matt Barkley, Arkansas' Tyler Wilson, Florida State's EJ Manuel, North Carolina State's Mike Glennon, Syracuse's Ryan Nassib and Tennessee's Tyler Bray are all intriguing talents, as are Kansas State's Collin Klein and Arizona's Matt Scott.
The Cardinals, as we know, are picking seventh, which may be a bit high for a passer in this draft.
And all it takes is for one team to fall in love with a player and take him earlier than most think he should go for all the dominoes to start to fall.
Seemingly every year a team or two "reaches" for a signal caller earlier than most think they should, and there's nothing saying new coach Bruce Arians and his staff won't I.D. a player and make sure they get him.
"I still think it's going to be two or three," Clayton said of quarterbacks taken in the first round. "But you just don't get excited about it because this group isn't as good as the group in the last two years."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.