Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 8:44 am
Report: Cardinals to express interest in Alex Smith
That's apparently what they want to find out.
According to NFL.com insider Ian Rapoport, the team "will express interest in a possible trade" for San Francisco 49ers QB Alex Smith. However, as Rapoport notes, the Cardinals are "VERY pessimistic" that the 49ers will trade with a division rival.
They have good reason to be, as out of the 25 trades made in 2012, not one was between division rivals.
Smith, who was supplanted by Colin Kaepernick during the 2012 season, has been a rumored trade candidate ever since. A 28-year-old who really came into his own the last two seasons, Smith completed better than 70 percent of his passes for 1,737 yards and 13 touchdowns last season while being intercepted just five times. He had a QB rating of 104.1.
His best game was against the Cardinals in Glendale, when he completed 18-of-19 passes for 232 yards and three touchdowns in a 24-3 Monday night win.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.