Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 8:44 am
Report: Cardinals to express interest in Alex Smith
That's apparently what they want to find out.
According to NFL.com insider Ian Rapoport, the team "will express interest in a possible trade" for San Francisco 49ers QB Alex Smith. However, as Rapoport notes, the Cardinals are "VERY pessimistic" that the 49ers will trade with a division rival.
They have good reason to be, as out of the 25 trades made in 2012, not one was between division rivals.
Smith, who was supplanted by Colin Kaepernick during the 2012 season, has been a rumored trade candidate ever since. A 28-year-old who really came into his own the last two seasons, Smith completed better than 70 percent of his passes for 1,737 yards and 13 touchdowns last season while being intercepted just five times. He had a QB rating of 104.1.
His best game was against the Cardinals in Glendale, when he completed 18-of-19 passes for 232 yards and three touchdowns in a 24-3 Monday night win.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.