Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 12:34 pm
ESPN NFL insider: Expect Cardinals to have interest in Matt Cassel
While the San Francisco 49ers trading Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs means he is no longer an option for the Arizona Cardinals, his arrival signals departure from Kansas City of someone who could be.
Look for Matt Cassel to be one of the quarterbacks on the Cardinals' radar. Cassel also will receive interest from other teams.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) February 27, 2013
Cassel, 30, has spent the last four seasons with the Chiefs after starting his career with New England. A Pro Bowler in 2010 when he threw for 27 touchdowns and just seven interceptions, his numbers have dipped since as he dealt with injuries and ineffectiveness.
Cassel played in just nine games each of the last two seasons, and in 2012 completed 58.1 percent of his passes for 1,796 yards and six touchdowns while throwing 12 interceptions.
Not known for having a big arm, which is something new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians would appear to prefer, it is unclear if Cassel would be a good fit in Arizona. However, with the Chiefs set to release him he would be a reasonably cheap option for a Cardinals team that could use some help at the position.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.