Updated Mar 5, 2013 - 4:28 pm
Looks like Flagstaff has given up on keeping the Arizona Cardinals
"Hosting an NFL team has been a bonus to the local economy, and we have enjoyed welcoming Cardinals fans back to their summer home for the last quarter century," Northern Arizona University President John Haeger said in a press release.
According to the release, Haeger said the school will look for other ways to bring revenue to the city by using its ample housing, field and conference space to attract events.
But losing the Cardinals, who have made the area their training camp home for the last 25 years, is a significant blow to the city.
"We've had a solid partnership with the Cardinals for many years, and we wish them well," Flagstaff Mayor Jerry Nabours said in the release. "Now we move forward in collaboration with the university, which has been a key partner in economic development for decades."
The Cardinals' three-year agreement to hold training camp in Flagstaff ended in 2012, and word leaked over the last couple months they were interested in moving the operation to Glendale, where they play regular season games. Haeger said the school "made an extraordinary offer and worked diligently" to keep the Cardinals in town, but alas it appears it was to no avail.
"We thank the many Cardinals fans who've made NAU a summer destination for nearly 25 years and supported the university, local businesses and the city," Haeger said. "We look forward to welcoming you back for Lumberjack athletics and community events."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Arizona Cardinals sign wide receiver/kick returner Reggie Dunn
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday July 25ESPN NFL Insider John Clayton talks about Marshawn Lynch’s impending holdout.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?