Updated Mar 8, 2013 - 1:34 pm
Don't be sad about Adrian Wilson; appreciate what he did for Cardinals
Appreciative. That's the word.
I'm not sad, because it was time. In a league where roster spots are coveted and controlled by younger, fresher players, Wilson was out of time with the Cardinals. He just wasn't going to be able to bring the kind of value to one of those roster spots to justify owning one.
So the Cardinals put on their grownup pants and did what they needed to do: they moved on.
And it's interesting that the man who made that decision, GM Steve Keim, was the same man who pushed the organization to select Wilson with the 64th pick in the 2001 draft.
To Wilson's credit, and to no one's surprise whatsoever, his reaction was pure class. He had already taken a pay cut last year and had to know this was coming, yet he handled it gracefully.
I'm appreciative of AW, not sad. When you consider what the Cardinals were when he got here and what they are now that he's leaving…it was a difficult gap to bridge. But AW bridged it and in doing so remained loyal to an organization that at times didn't deserve it. His willingness to stick with this team is what made him so unique. That loyalty, combined with the fact he was one of only six players in the history of the league to amass 25 or more interceptions and 25 or more sacks, made him special.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Arizona Cardinals RB Stepfan Taylor 'expecting more of a role' in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: Carson Chats - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b