Updated Mar 13, 2013 - 5:59 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign LB Lorenzo Alexander
According to CBS DC, the contract is a three-year deal with $9.5 million, with $3 million guaranteed.
Alexander, formerly of the Washington Redskins, has made his mark on special teams, and tallied a league-leading 19 special teams tackles last season. His efforts made him a Pro Bowler, but according to CBS DC, expects to be a starting linebacker in Arizona.
"They were there from the beginning," Alexander said of the Cardinals. "They really wanted me. They were head and shoulders above most teams financially other than San Francisco where I would have played mostly on special teams. The Cardinals have already kind of pegged me in a starting role which is very exciting for me. I'll be a linebacker that helps out on special teams instead of special teams being my bread and butter. It's going to allow me to grow as a player. I won't be tired when I'm on defense."
"Lorenzo is another guy who fits what we're looking for perfectly, both in terms of what he brings on the football field and also as a human being," said Cardinals coach Bruce Arians in a press release. "He has a tremendous motor, high energy and is a defensive play maker. And going to the Pro Bowl on special teams demonstrates how much he loves every aspect of the game."
In all, he's tallied 70 combined tackles, eight sacks and three forced fumbles in his career.
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Franz's 2013 NFL Power Poll - Week 15
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.