Updated Mar 13, 2013 - 5:59 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign LB Lorenzo Alexander
According to CBS DC, the contract is a three-year deal with $9.5 million, with $3 million guaranteed.
Alexander, formerly of the Washington Redskins, has made his mark on special teams, and tallied a league-leading 19 special teams tackles last season. His efforts made him a Pro Bowler, but according to CBS DC, expects to be a starting linebacker in Arizona.
"They were there from the beginning," Alexander said of the Cardinals. "They really wanted me. They were head and shoulders above most teams financially other than San Francisco where I would have played mostly on special teams. The Cardinals have already kind of pegged me in a starting role which is very exciting for me. I'll be a linebacker that helps out on special teams instead of special teams being my bread and butter. It's going to allow me to grow as a player. I won't be tired when I'm on defense."
"Lorenzo is another guy who fits what we're looking for perfectly, both in terms of what he brings on the football field and also as a human being," said Cardinals coach Bruce Arians in a press release. "He has a tremendous motor, high energy and is a defensive play maker. And going to the Pro Bowl on special teams demonstrates how much he loves every aspect of the game."
In all, he's tallied 70 combined tackles, eight sacks and three forced fumbles in his career.
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!