Updated Mar 13, 2013 - 5:59 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign LB Lorenzo Alexander
According to CBS DC, the contract is a three-year deal with $9.5 million, with $3 million guaranteed.
Alexander, formerly of the Washington Redskins, has made his mark on special teams, and tallied a league-leading 19 special teams tackles last season. His efforts made him a Pro Bowler, but according to CBS DC, expects to be a starting linebacker in Arizona.
"They were there from the beginning," Alexander said of the Cardinals. "They really wanted me. They were head and shoulders above most teams financially other than San Francisco where I would have played mostly on special teams. The Cardinals have already kind of pegged me in a starting role which is very exciting for me. I'll be a linebacker that helps out on special teams instead of special teams being my bread and butter. It's going to allow me to grow as a player. I won't be tired when I'm on defense."
"Lorenzo is another guy who fits what we're looking for perfectly, both in terms of what he brings on the football field and also as a human being," said Cardinals coach Bruce Arians in a press release. "He has a tremendous motor, high energy and is a defensive play maker. And going to the Pro Bowl on special teams demonstrates how much he loves every aspect of the game."
In all, he's tallied 70 combined tackles, eight sacks and three forced fumbles in his career.
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Arizona Cardinals agree to terms with Oakland Raiders LT Jared Veldheer
- Arizona Cardinals react to Karlos Dansby's departure
- Arizona Cardinals to lose LB Karlos Dansby to Cleveland Browns
- Karlos Dansby attracting many suitors for his services
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?