Updated Mar 13, 2013 - 5:59 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign LB Lorenzo Alexander
According to CBS DC, the contract is a three-year deal with $9.5 million, with $3 million guaranteed.
Alexander, formerly of the Washington Redskins, has made his mark on special teams, and tallied a league-leading 19 special teams tackles last season. His efforts made him a Pro Bowler, but according to CBS DC, expects to be a starting linebacker in Arizona.
"They were there from the beginning," Alexander said of the Cardinals. "They really wanted me. They were head and shoulders above most teams financially other than San Francisco where I would have played mostly on special teams. The Cardinals have already kind of pegged me in a starting role which is very exciting for me. I'll be a linebacker that helps out on special teams instead of special teams being my bread and butter. It's going to allow me to grow as a player. I won't be tired when I'm on defense."
"Lorenzo is another guy who fits what we're looking for perfectly, both in terms of what he brings on the football field and also as a human being," said Cardinals coach Bruce Arians in a press release. "He has a tremendous motor, high energy and is a defensive play maker. And going to the Pro Bowl on special teams demonstrates how much he loves every aspect of the game."
In all, he's tallied 70 combined tackles, eight sacks and three forced fumbles in his career.
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves