Updated Mar 15, 2013 - 9:07 am
Arizona Cardinals release QB Kevin Kolb
In March of 2013, the search for that franchise signal caller continues.
The Cardinals announced Friday they have cut the quarterback, whose time in the Valley ends after a disappointing two seasons.
Reports circulated Friday that Kolb had rejected the Cardinals' contract restructuring.
By releasing Kolb, the Cardinals will save $7.5 million against the 2013 salary cap, which is set at $123 million.
Acquired by the team from Philadelphia for cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round pick in August 2011, Kolb was expected to become the team's solution at quarterback.
Since entering Week 1 in relief of an injured John Skelton, Kolb had completed 59.6 percent of his passes and thrown for 1,169 yards. He tossed eight touchdown passes against just three interceptions and, perhaps most important, had led the Cardinals to a 4-1 record.
Then Kolb suffered shoulder and rib injuries in a Week 6 loss to the Buffalo Bills, maladies he was unable to recover from. And now, the Kolb era in Arizona has come to an end.
Instead, injuries and ineffectiveness plagued the signal caller over the course of his time in Arizona, and with a $2 million roster bonus along with a $9 million salary on the way this season, and after adding free agent quarterback Drew Stanton, the franchise decided it best to part ways.
Kolb leaves Arizona having played in just 15 games for the Cardinals -- including 14 starts. He threw for 3,124 yards with 17 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.
- Tommy Kelly happy to be wanted, with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves