Updated Mar 15, 2013 - 9:07 am
Arizona Cardinals release QB Kevin Kolb
In March of 2013, the search for that franchise signal caller continues.
The Cardinals announced Friday they have cut the quarterback, whose time in the Valley ends after a disappointing two seasons.
Reports circulated Friday that Kolb had rejected the Cardinals' contract restructuring.
By releasing Kolb, the Cardinals will save $7.5 million against the 2013 salary cap, which is set at $123 million.
Acquired by the team from Philadelphia for cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round pick in August 2011, Kolb was expected to become the team's solution at quarterback.
Since entering Week 1 in relief of an injured John Skelton, Kolb had completed 59.6 percent of his passes and thrown for 1,169 yards. He tossed eight touchdown passes against just three interceptions and, perhaps most important, had led the Cardinals to a 4-1 record.
Then Kolb suffered shoulder and rib injuries in a Week 6 loss to the Buffalo Bills, maladies he was unable to recover from. And now, the Kolb era in Arizona has come to an end.
Instead, injuries and ineffectiveness plagued the signal caller over the course of his time in Arizona, and with a $2 million roster bonus along with a $9 million salary on the way this season, and after adding free agent quarterback Drew Stanton, the franchise decided it best to part ways.
Kolb leaves Arizona having played in just 15 games for the Cardinals -- including 14 starts. He threw for 3,124 yards with 17 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest-paid CB
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson on contract extension: 'I haven't had my reality check just yet'
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.