Updated Mar 14, 2013 - 8:55 am
Report: Cardinals expected to cut Kevin Kolb
Sources: #Cardinals expect to cut QB Kevin Kolb over the next few days. Due a roster bonus of $2M on March 17. He won't see that, I'm told— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 14, 2013
There has been much speculation about Kolb, who is coming off a second injury-shortened season with the Cardinals. Kolb relieved starter John Skelton in the season opener against Seattle, leading Arizona on a go-ahead touchdown drive in a 20-16 win.
Kolb would start the next five games before suffering a rib injury in Week 6 against Buffalo that would sideline him for the remainder of the season.
The six-year pro out of Houston completed 59.6 percent of his passes for 1,169 yards and eight touchdowns during the 2012 season. But Kolb is due a $2 million roster bonus on March 17 if he's still around, so there's speculation that the team will just release him.
Arizona also signed free agent quarterback Drew Stanton to a three-year, $8.2 million contract Wednesday. The deal contains $3 million guaranteed and incentives.
Who will be #Cardinals QBs battling? Drew Stanton Brian Hoyer, and either Skelton or Lindley. Not expecting first-round QB selection.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 14, 2013
Stanton served as Andrew Luck's backup in Indianapolis last season under interim head coach Bruce Arians, who is of course the new head coach in Arizona.
Stanton hasn't thrown a pass in an NFL game since 2010 when he was with Detroit.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians confirms James Harrison interest
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians on Tyrann Mathieu's progress: 'We'll see how he tackles'
- Report: Bengals cornerback fined for hit on Arizona Cardinals' Ted Ginn
- Arizona Cardinals wrap up preseason with some telling stats: By The Numbers
- Rookie QB Logan Thomas largely ineffective in Cardinals preseason finale
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.