Updated Mar 14, 2013 - 8:55 am
Report: Cardinals expected to cut Kevin Kolb
Sources: #Cardinals expect to cut QB Kevin Kolb over the next few days. Due a roster bonus of $2M on March 17. He won't see that, I'm told— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 14, 2013
There has been much speculation about Kolb, who is coming off a second injury-shortened season with the Cardinals. Kolb relieved starter John Skelton in the season opener against Seattle, leading Arizona on a go-ahead touchdown drive in a 20-16 win.
Kolb would start the next five games before suffering a rib injury in Week 6 against Buffalo that would sideline him for the remainder of the season.
The six-year pro out of Houston completed 59.6 percent of his passes for 1,169 yards and eight touchdowns during the 2012 season. But Kolb is due a $2 million roster bonus on March 17 if he's still around, so there's speculation that the team will just release him.
Arizona also signed free agent quarterback Drew Stanton to a three-year, $8.2 million contract Wednesday. The deal contains $3 million guaranteed and incentives.
Who will be #Cardinals QBs battling? Drew Stanton Brian Hoyer, and either Skelton or Lindley. Not expecting first-round QB selection.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 14, 2013
Stanton served as Andrew Luck's backup in Indianapolis last season under interim head coach Bruce Arians, who is of course the new head coach in Arizona.
Stanton hasn't thrown a pass in an NFL game since 2010 when he was with Detroit.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.