Updated Mar 19, 2013 - 1:52 pm
Expect Cardinals to name starter before training camp
Ken Whisenhunt, who was in Arizona for six years, went into training camp with an already-named starter just three times (if you include Kevin Kolb in 2011, though he was not acquired by the team prior to the opening of camp).
Arians appears to want no such questions surrounding his team, as he told ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando the plan is to have a starter named well before the team begins preparing for the season.
"I don't think there's any doubt when you have an established quarterback, it is much better than when someone is competing for a job," Arians said Tuesday from the NFL owners meeting. "Guys' friendships get involved and their own evaluations are made in the locker room because of friendships, and it's not always in the best interests of the ball club."
It's a refreshing change, though it'd be easier to understand if the Cardinals had, in fact, a sure thing at the quarterback position. But as of now, they don't.
Newly-signed Drew Stanton along with Brian Hoyer, John Skelton and Ryan Lindley are all on the roster, and it's likely the Cardinals will select at least one quarterback sometime in the draft.
The early edge would appear to go Stanton, who Arians has expressed great confidence in, though it remains to be seen who will be taking first-team snaps when camp opens.
But at the very least, it appears we won't have to wait very long.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals RB Stepfan Taylor 'expecting more of a role' in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: Carson Chats - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Arizona Cardinals center Lyle Sendlein to miss 3 weeks after suffering calf injury
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.