Updated Mar 19, 2013 - 1:52 pm
Expect Cardinals to name starter before training camp
Ken Whisenhunt, who was in Arizona for six years, went into training camp with an already-named starter just three times (if you include Kevin Kolb in 2011, though he was not acquired by the team prior to the opening of camp).
Arians appears to want no such questions surrounding his team, as he told ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando the plan is to have a starter named well before the team begins preparing for the season.
"I don't think there's any doubt when you have an established quarterback, it is much better than when someone is competing for a job," Arians said Tuesday from the NFL owners meeting. "Guys' friendships get involved and their own evaluations are made in the locker room because of friendships, and it's not always in the best interests of the ball club."
It's a refreshing change, though it'd be easier to understand if the Cardinals had, in fact, a sure thing at the quarterback position. But as of now, they don't.
Newly-signed Drew Stanton along with Brian Hoyer, John Skelton and Ryan Lindley are all on the roster, and it's likely the Cardinals will select at least one quarterback sometime in the draft.
The early edge would appear to go Stanton, who Arians has expressed great confidence in, though it remains to be seen who will be taking first-team snaps when camp opens.
But at the very least, it appears we won't have to wait very long.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.