Updated Mar 22, 2013 - 10:41 pm
Brian Urlacher an Arizona Cardinal? Agent checks in
The team had many needs at the time, and as it turned out, many quality players to choose from.
Some thought they'd look to the offense and draft a running back like Tennessee's Jamal Lewis or Virginia's Thomas Jones, while others believed they might look to the defense and nab New Mexico's Brian Urlacher.
The Cardinals took Jones, and the Bears selected Urlacher two picks later.
Both had decent careers, but it's safe to say the Cardinals would have been better off with the linebacker.
According to an ESPN Chicago report, Urlacher's agent is hoping the team feels that way now after the Bears released the eight-time Pro Bowler.
Urlacher, who will be 35 in May, said his agent has talked with the Minnesota Vikings, Dallas Cowboys and Arizona Cardinals. ESPN Twin Cities reported last week that the Vikings would not be interested in Urlacher unless his price comes way down.
While Urlacher is still a big name and effective player, it's tough to see the Cardinals having much interest. They've already signed Jasper Brinkley and Lorenzo Alexander, and don't really have a need for the 34-year-old.
Then again, though Urlacher's production has slipped in recent years there is no doubting the leadership qualities he brings to the table, and that's something new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians may not mind having around.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.