Brian Urlacher an Arizona Cardinal? Agent checks in
The team had many needs at the time, and as it turned out, many quality players to choose from.
Some thought they'd look to the offense and draft a running back like Tennessee's Jamal Lewis or Virginia's Thomas Jones, while others believed they might look to the defense and nab New Mexico's Brian Urlacher.
The Cardinals took Jones, and the Bears selected Urlacher two picks later.
Both had decent careers, but it's safe to say the Cardinals would have been better off with the linebacker.
According to an ESPN Chicago report, Urlacher's agent is hoping the team feels that way now after the Bears released the eight-time Pro Bowler.
Urlacher, who will be 35 in May, said his agent has talked with the Minnesota Vikings, Dallas Cowboys and Arizona Cardinals. ESPN Twin Cities reported last week that the Vikings would not be interested in Urlacher unless his price comes way down.
While Urlacher is still a big name and effective player, it's tough to see the Cardinals having much interest. They've already signed Jasper Brinkley and Lorenzo Alexander, and don't really have a need for the 34-year-old.
Then again, though Urlacher's production has slipped in recent years there is no doubting the leadership qualities he brings to the table, and that's something new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians may not mind having around.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.