Updated Mar 22, 2013 - 10:41 pm
Brian Urlacher an Arizona Cardinal? Agent checks in
The team had many needs at the time, and as it turned out, many quality players to choose from.
Some thought they'd look to the offense and draft a running back like Tennessee's Jamal Lewis or Virginia's Thomas Jones, while others believed they might look to the defense and nab New Mexico's Brian Urlacher.
The Cardinals took Jones, and the Bears selected Urlacher two picks later.
Both had decent careers, but it's safe to say the Cardinals would have been better off with the linebacker.
According to an ESPN Chicago report, Urlacher's agent is hoping the team feels that way now after the Bears released the eight-time Pro Bowler.
Urlacher, who will be 35 in May, said his agent has talked with the Minnesota Vikings, Dallas Cowboys and Arizona Cardinals. ESPN Twin Cities reported last week that the Vikings would not be interested in Urlacher unless his price comes way down.
While Urlacher is still a big name and effective player, it's tough to see the Cardinals having much interest. They've already signed Jasper Brinkley and Lorenzo Alexander, and don't really have a need for the 34-year-old.
Then again, though Urlacher's production has slipped in recent years there is no doubting the leadership qualities he brings to the table, and that's something new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians may not mind having around.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.