Updated Mar 25, 2013 - 1:57 pm
Report: Raiders likely to cut Carson Palmer -- Cardinals to have interest?
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians has said Stanton will be the starter if the team does not add another signal caller, and many mock drafts have the team looking at a different position at the top of the 2013 draft.
So, in other words, if the Cards are to add another passer it will likely be via free agency, and it just so happens an enticing option is likely to hit the market.
Interesting: now "highly unlikely" Carson Palmer will be willing to restructure his contract meaning OAK pays him $13 million or cuts him.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 25, 2013
Palmer, 33, is clearly not the quarterback he once was. A Pro Bowl selection in 2005 and 2006, the former top pick is no longer considered to be elite.
However, he threw for 4,018 yards with 22 touchdowns and 14 interceptions last season with the Raiders, and has completed better than 60 percent of his passes in eight out of nine NFL seasons.
While Palmer may not be great -- the Raiders would not be parting with him if he was -- it's tough to argue the idea that he'd be an upgrade over the team's other options at the position.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Michael Floyd: A threat Arizona Cardinals have not had since Anquan Boldin
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?