Updated Mar 25, 2013 - 1:57 pm
Report: Raiders likely to cut Carson Palmer -- Cardinals to have interest?
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians has said Stanton will be the starter if the team does not add another signal caller, and many mock drafts have the team looking at a different position at the top of the 2013 draft.
So, in other words, if the Cards are to add another passer it will likely be via free agency, and it just so happens an enticing option is likely to hit the market.
Interesting: now "highly unlikely" Carson Palmer will be willing to restructure his contract meaning OAK pays him $13 million or cuts him.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 25, 2013
Palmer, 33, is clearly not the quarterback he once was. A Pro Bowl selection in 2005 and 2006, the former top pick is no longer considered to be elite.
However, he threw for 4,018 yards with 22 touchdowns and 14 interceptions last season with the Raiders, and has completed better than 60 percent of his passes in eight out of nine NFL seasons.
While Palmer may not be great -- the Raiders would not be parting with him if he was -- it's tough to argue the idea that he'd be an upgrade over the team's other options at the position.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.