Updated Mar 26, 2013 - 6:38 am
Report: Cardinals to work out North Carolina State QB Mike Glennon
The Cardinals, who will pick seventh overall, may have all of the draft class' QBs available to them. Or, maybe, one or two will be selected before they are even on the clock.
A smart team will explore all options, and according to ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter, that includes North Carolina State QB Mike Glennon.
Cardinals GM Steve Keim and Arizona asst. coach Tom Moore are in Raleigh, N.C., to workout North Carolina State QB Mike Glennon on Tuesday.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 25, 2013
A 6-foot-7 quarterback, Glennon threw for 4,031 yards and 31 touchdowns as a senior last year, his second as a starter. He completed 58.5 percent of his passes and was picked off 17 times.
"They're not going to take Mike Glennon in the first round," Schefter said Tuesday on ESPN's Sportscenter. "But it's conceivable in the second round, that's where Arizona would be in position to take a quarterback like Mike Glennon.
"We've already heard Bruce Arians, the Arizona Cardinals coach, say he doesn't think all that much of this particular quarterback class in terms of star power. He doesn't see some guy that pops off the screen that the team has to have. But clearly this is a quarterback right now that the Arizona Cardinals, whose schedule starter now would be Drew Stanton, are taking a long, hard look at."
Glennon is known for having a big-time arm, which is something Cardinals coach Bruce Arians looks for in a quarterback, but has yet to show enough consistency to be considered a high first round pick. But that does not mean the team wouldn't have interest in the second round.
ESPN's Mel Kiper has Glennon rated as the fourth-best quarterback in this year's class behind West Virginia's Geno Smith, USC's Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib of Syracuse .
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!