Updated Mar 27, 2013 - 2:13 pm
NFL.com pegs Carson Palmer to the Cardinals
While some thought the Cardinals were done looking for a quarterback in free agency after the signing of Drew Stanton, NFL.com's Marc Sessler thinks otherwise.
In a piece titled "Who's next on the NFL quarterback carousel?", the Cardinals are the likely landing spot for Oakland Raiders quarterback Carson Palmer.
The Oakland Raiders don't plan to pay Palmer's $13 million salary and the grizzled veteran is "highly unlikely" to take a pay cut. With a divorce looming, Palmer is a logical target for coach Bruce Arians in Arizona. The Cardinals are upbeat about Drew Stanton and Brian Hoyer, but Palmer is a present-day upgrade over both. Adding Palmer to the mix also allows the Cardinals to use their No. 7 pick on an offensive tackle. Palmer is a plodder who must be protected well -- not a Cardinals specialty of late -- but he'd give Arians a known quantity under center. Destination: Cardinals
If Palmer is released and the Cardinals make an offer, they would be pursuing a 33-year-old, two-time Pro Bowler who threw for 4,018 yards with 22 touchdowns, 14 interceptions and a 61.1% completion percentage last season. Based on statistics alone, Palmer would appear to be an upgrade at the quarterback position for Bruce Arians and the Cardinals in 2013.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.