Updated Mar 29, 2013 - 10:35 am
NAU pulls bid to keep Cardinals in Flagstaff
PHOENIX -- Northern Arizona University President John Haeger told the Arizona Daily Sun he has rejected a proposal from the Arizona Cardinals and withdrawn a bid to keep the team for three more years.
University spokesman Tom Bauer said the school made the team a fair offer and has no interest in a short-term deal, even one that could bring $10 million to the local economy.
"We have had a lot of people interested in using our facilities. Obviously, it's not as flashy as having an NFL team on campus, and won't get the publicity, but we're going to get a lot of people up here."
Cardinals spokesman Mark Dalton said the proposals didn't "adequately address any of the concerns we had expressed for years relative to facilities and football operations.
"They also added new elements which we saw as unfavorable for the team and Cardinal fans."
Among the changes Dalton cited were a parking charge and restrictions on team marketing and advertising rights.
Glendale continues to hammer out a 15-year deal with the Cardinals to spend summer camp at University of Phoenix Stadium.
Four months remain before the Cardinals are expected to start their training.
Jim Cross, Reporter
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.