Updated Mar 30, 2013 - 6:47 pm
Report: Former Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb signs two-year deal with Bills
Bills and former Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb finalizing a deal tonight that will give Buffalo one more starting-caliber QB.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 30, 2013
The Bills appear to be an ideal fit for Kolb, as they just released their former starting quarterback, Ryan Fitzpatrick, on March 12.
Buffalo reportedly thought enough of Kolb to sign him to a multi-year deal according to NFL reporter Adam Kaplan.
So Kolb gets a 2-year, $13 M max deal with the Bills, per source.— Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) March 31, 2013
Kolb, who was acquired by the Cardinals in a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles in July 2011, signed a five-year extension worth $62.1 million upon his arrival in the Valley. In two seasons, he rarely lived up to his rather pricey billing.
In 15 appearances, Kolb threw 17 touchdowns and 11 interceptions to go along with 3,124 passing yards. However, injuries plagued his time in Arizona.
After a concussion ended his season prematurely in December 2011, Kolb came back in 2012 and showed real signs of promise. The 28-year-old came in relief of John Skelton in Week 1 and went on to lead Arizona to a 4-1 record. While his stats were impressive in the early going (59.6 completion percentage and eight touchdowns), his body simply couldn't hold up.
In the fourth quarter of the team's Week 6 overtime loss to the Buffalo Bills, Kolb was hit awkwardly while sliding and suffered a season-ending rib/sternum injury.
By cutting Kolb earlier in the month, the Cardinals saved $7.5 million against the 2013 cap.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.