Updated Apr 23, 2013 - 1:14 pm
NFL analyst provides first-round draft strategy for Cardinals
Before the team acquired quarterback Carson Palmer, projections had the Cards selecting a a passer such as West Virginia's Geno Smith or USC's Matt Barkley. But ever since, predictions have shifted toward drafting an offensive lineman, with tackles Eric Fisher of Central Michigan and Lane Johnson of Oklahoma becoming the most popular names associated with the seventh overall pick.
NFL.com's Bucky Brooks has laid out a first-round draft strategy for the Cardinals.
Perfect plan: New coach Bruce Arians has already proclaimed Carson Palmer the Cardinals' starting quarterback after the team landed him in a trade with the Oakland Raiders. While the move certainly addressed one of the Cardinals' biggest needs, an inability to protect the quarterback has also been a significant issue in the past. Johnson, one of the fastest risers on draft boards across the league, impressed scouts with his talent and potential at the Senior Bowl and NFL Scouting Combine.
Brooks also offers an auxiliary plan in case things don't go as expected for the Cardinals.
Backup strategy: If all of the best offensive tackles are off the board at this point, the Cardinals could take the top offensive guard prospect, to solidify the interior of the line. Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper are Pro Bowl-caliber talents with the capacity to start on Day 1.
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b