Updated Apr 24, 2013 - 9:53 am
New Cardinal Cason remains confident while trying to prove himself
A veteran of five NFL seasons, the 26-year-old is on a "prove it" kind of contract.
"It helps," Cason said of the motivation having to re-establish himself brings. "I'm definitely a motivated guy, confident guy. Take each day and get better and get better and get better; don't just be satisfied with today, but just keep getting better.
"And I will do that."
Cason was originally drafted by the San Diego Chargers with the 27th overall pick in the 2008 draft out of the University of Arizona, where he won the Jim Thorpe Award and was a consensus First-Team All-American as a senior.
A solid pro, Cason has career totals of 12 interceptions and 308 tackles. But the Chargers allowed him to leave as a free agent, and he was unable to land the type of long-term deal afforded to a more established player.
So the California native decided to head to Arizona and join a team that, like him, kind of has to prove itself. Playing in a division with NFC favorites San Francisco and Seattle, not much is really expected of the Cardinals in Bruce Arians' first year on the job.
But that underdog mentality suits Cason just fine.
"I love that," he said. "I'm confident in what I can do and I feel like I get better every time I come out."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Alabama QB A.J. McCarron
- Arizona Cardinals LB Daryl Washington sentenced to probation
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?