Updated Apr 24, 2013 - 9:53 am
New Cardinal Cason remains confident while trying to prove himself
A veteran of five NFL seasons, the 26-year-old is on a "prove it" kind of contract.
"It helps," Cason said of the motivation having to re-establish himself brings. "I'm definitely a motivated guy, confident guy. Take each day and get better and get better and get better; don't just be satisfied with today, but just keep getting better.
"And I will do that."
Cason was originally drafted by the San Diego Chargers with the 27th overall pick in the 2008 draft out of the University of Arizona, where he won the Jim Thorpe Award and was a consensus First-Team All-American as a senior.
A solid pro, Cason has career totals of 12 interceptions and 308 tackles. But the Chargers allowed him to leave as a free agent, and he was unable to land the type of long-term deal afforded to a more established player.
So the California native decided to head to Arizona and join a team that, like him, kind of has to prove itself. Playing in a division with NFC favorites San Francisco and Seattle, not much is really expected of the Cardinals in Bruce Arians' first year on the job.
But that underdog mentality suits Cason just fine.
"I love that," he said. "I'm confident in what I can do and I feel like I get better every time I come out."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Arizona Cardinals sign rookie free agent LB Derrell Johnson
- Arizona Cardinals bring in veteran Max Starks for depth, not to replace Bobby Massie
- Arizona Cardinals sign tackle Max Starks, release two
- Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer relishing opportunity in the desert
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?
- Doug & Wolf Impromptu Power Poll - Friday August 1Doug & Wolf's top 5 things to look for at Cardinals' Fan Fest.
- Jonathan Dwyer, Arizona Cardinals RB - Friday August 1Cardinals RB Jonathan Dwyer talks about coming to a new team.