Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 3:12 pm
Cardinals GM: Jonathan Cooper one of 'cleanest' players in the draft
"The one thing I've come to the conclusion of is you're not going to make everybody happy," he told Arizona Sports 602's Doug and Wolf Friday. "Some people are going to say this pick was too high for a guard, some people are going to think we should have taken a pass rusher, some people think we should have traded out.
"At the end of the day, as the general manager, I have to be comfortable with the pick, our coach has to be comfortable with the pick, Michael Bidwill has to be comfortable with the pick. And we felt like Jonathan Cooper was the best player for our football team for many reasons."
Cooper, a guard from North Carolina, comes to the Cardinals with the expectation of sliding right in and starting from day one. Keim, who just completed his first draft as a general manager, is very comfortable with the choice.
The guard is the first offensive lineman to be drafted by the Cardinals in the first round since Levi Brown in 2007, was also the first guard to be selected within the top 10 since Chris Naeole was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in 1997.
But the 6-foot-2, 311-pound player who was a consensus first-team All-American as a senior was just too good a fit for Keim and the Cardinals to pass up, even if he may have been selected a little sooner than some people thought he should have been.
But that doesn't matter, not now. Cooper is a Cardinal, and Keim hopes -- and expects -- him to be a mainstay on the offensive line for a long, long time.
"We stack our board one through 120 on players we think are the best, not only for us, but will make the most impact for us," he said, noting how Cooper fits with what the team wants to do schematically. "Jonathan Cooper is not only a tremendous player, he's a tremendous person with great work ethic and intangibles.
"Really thought he was one of the cleanest players in the draft when you look at his overall makeup."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals get high praise for pick
- Keim: Cooper one of 'cleanest' players in draft
- Breaking down G Jonathan Cooper
- Franz: Why not take a Chance?
- Burns: Quick thoughts on Cooper
- Wolf: Cooper reveals offense
- Cooper: Phone call 'meant the world to me'
- Jonathan Cooper - Draft Profile
- Green: Cardinals played it safe
- Cardinals select G Jonathan Cooper
- Twitter reaction to Cardinals' selection
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.