Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 3:41 pm
Jonathan Cooper welcomes expectations, wants to make ‘immediate impact'
They are three of the best offensive guards to ever play in the NFL, with a combined 32 Pro Bowl appearances and 25 All-Pro selections.
Allen and McDaniel are enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Faneca, who retired two seasons ago, is almost assured of his own place in Canton, Ohio once eligible for induction.
Jonathan Cooper, the Cardinals' 2013 first round draft pick, has drawn comparisons to each one.
"Honestly, it makes me a little nervous," Cooper said at his introductory press conference Friday. "It's high expectations and kind of a little bit of pressure, but I also put just as much pressure on myself, and it makes me want to get to work immediately.
"There are some guys who kind of bask in that hype, but I can't allow myself to do that," he continued. "It's now time for me to prove to myself that I've earned that and I deserve that high praise."
Cooper was the fourth offensive lineman drafted and one of six selected in the top 11 picks during the first round Thursday.
"I feel like we really represented this class and showed that we are important to teams and we play pivotal roles in teams' success," he said.
"They always say you don't need a guard until you need one, and that's when you can't find one. I'm grateful to be part of this class and I feel like we showed that we are very important."
Well before the draft, the Cardinals said they expected whomever they took with the No. 7 overall pick to come in and play right away.
Cooper, who wisely wore a red tie, expects the same thing.
"I expect to come in immediately and compete, and also contribute to this team," he said. "They did spend a number seven pick on me, so I feel like I have to come and make an immediate impact."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Cardinals get high praise for pick
- Keim: Cooper one of 'cleanest' players in draft
- Breaking down G Jonathan Cooper
- Franz: Why not take a Chance?
- Burns: Quick thoughts on Cooper
- Wolf: Cooper reveals offense
- Cooper: Phone call 'meant the world to me'
- Jonathan Cooper - Draft Profile
- Green: Cardinals played it safe
- Cardinals select G Jonathan Cooper
- Twitter reaction to Cardinals' selection
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves