Updated Apr 27, 2013 - 11:12 am
Cardinals select DE Alex Okafor with first of two fourth round picks
Friday, the team selected LSU linebacker Kevin Minter (No. 45) and defensive back Tyrann Mathieu (No. 69) and the trend continued Saturday.
With their first (No. 103) of two picks in the fourth round, Steve Keim and Co. took defensive end Alex Okafor out of Texas.
"Going into the Combine, (the Cardinals) asked me 'You didn't play much standing up or as a 3-4 backer in college, do you think you can play there?'" Okafor said in a conference call Saturday. "I looked them dead in the eye and told them I'm confident in my athletic abilities and know I can play that position for them."
Okafor, who had 52 tackles and 12.5 sacks in 2012, was a first-team AFCA All-American in 2011 and a two-time first-team All-Big-12 member (2011 and 2012).
The former Texas defensive standout will be reuniting with college teammate Sam Acho, who ironically was taken by the Cardinals with the No. 103 pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.
"One of the transitions in the NFL is making all new friends on the team, getting to know people," said Okafor. "But I get to come in with a guy I played two years with and who was already a mentor of mine. "It's a perfect situation for me."
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.