Updated Apr 27, 2013 - 11:12 am
Cardinals select DE Alex Okafor with first of two fourth round picks
Friday, the team selected LSU linebacker Kevin Minter (No. 45) and defensive back Tyrann Mathieu (No. 69) and the trend continued Saturday.
With their first (No. 103) of two picks in the fourth round, Steve Keim and Co. took defensive end Alex Okafor out of Texas.
"Going into the Combine, (the Cardinals) asked me 'You didn't play much standing up or as a 3-4 backer in college, do you think you can play there?'" Okafor said in a conference call Saturday. "I looked them dead in the eye and told them I'm confident in my athletic abilities and know I can play that position for them."
Okafor, who had 52 tackles and 12.5 sacks in 2012, was a first-team AFCA All-American in 2011 and a two-time first-team All-Big-12 member (2011 and 2012).
The former Texas defensive standout will be reuniting with college teammate Sam Acho, who ironically was taken by the Cardinals with the No. 103 pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.
"One of the transitions in the NFL is making all new friends on the team, getting to know people," said Okafor. "But I get to come in with a guy I played two years with and who was already a mentor of mine. "It's a perfect situation for me."
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.