Updated Apr 27, 2013 - 11:12 am
Cardinals select DE Alex Okafor with first of two fourth round picks
Friday, the team selected LSU linebacker Kevin Minter (No. 45) and defensive back Tyrann Mathieu (No. 69) and the trend continued Saturday.
With their first (No. 103) of two picks in the fourth round, Steve Keim and Co. took defensive end Alex Okafor out of Texas.
"Going into the Combine, (the Cardinals) asked me 'You didn't play much standing up or as a 3-4 backer in college, do you think you can play there?'" Okafor said in a conference call Saturday. "I looked them dead in the eye and told them I'm confident in my athletic abilities and know I can play that position for them."
Okafor, who had 52 tackles and 12.5 sacks in 2012, was a first-team AFCA All-American in 2011 and a two-time first-team All-Big-12 member (2011 and 2012).
The former Texas defensive standout will be reuniting with college teammate Sam Acho, who ironically was taken by the Cardinals with the No. 103 pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.
"One of the transitions in the NFL is making all new friends on the team, getting to know people," said Okafor. "But I get to come in with a guy I played two years with and who was already a mentor of mine. "It's a perfect situation for me."
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Despite interest from Cardinals, linebacker James Harrison retires
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians: Logan Thomas as expected, has 'a good future'
- Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians confirms James Harrison interest
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.