Updated Apr 27, 2013 - 11:12 am
Cardinals select DE Alex Okafor with first of two fourth round picks
Friday, the team selected LSU linebacker Kevin Minter (No. 45) and defensive back Tyrann Mathieu (No. 69) and the trend continued Saturday.
With their first (No. 103) of two picks in the fourth round, Steve Keim and Co. took defensive end Alex Okafor out of Texas.
"Going into the Combine, (the Cardinals) asked me 'You didn't play much standing up or as a 3-4 backer in college, do you think you can play there?'" Okafor said in a conference call Saturday. "I looked them dead in the eye and told them I'm confident in my athletic abilities and know I can play that position for them."
Okafor, who had 52 tackles and 12.5 sacks in 2012, was a first-team AFCA All-American in 2011 and a two-time first-team All-Big-12 member (2011 and 2012).
The former Texas defensive standout will be reuniting with college teammate Sam Acho, who ironically was taken by the Cardinals with the No. 103 pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.
"One of the transitions in the NFL is making all new friends on the team, getting to know people," said Okafor. "But I get to come in with a guy I played two years with and who was already a mentor of mine. "It's a perfect situation for me."
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b