Updated Apr 28, 2013 - 7:21 am
ESPN analyst: Mathieu not worth the risk, poor teammate
Following general manager Steve Keim's decision to take the former Heisman Trophy finalist with the No. 69 pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, not everyone was excited by the Cardinals' "calculated risk."
ESPN analyst Bill Polian, a former NFL executive with the Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers and Indianapolis Colts, was asked what he thought of the Cardinals' selection Friday night, and he didn't exactly hold back.
"In a word, no," Polian said when asked if Mathieu was worth the risk. "This is a nickelback and a return man who has a deficiency covering man-to-man, who is speed deficient. On top of that, he's proven to be irresponsible and continues in my mind to show some degree of irresponsibility.
"That makes him a poor teammate and a poor risk. I don't know why you'd want him at any price, but if you were going to take a chance on him it certainly wouldn't be tonight."
When asked if he would have taken a chance on Mathieu during the draft's final few rounds were he still an executive in the league, Polian once again was definitive.
"We would have taken him off the board," said Polian. "Based on our philosophy, we didn't want a player of this level of irresponsibility and this level of disrespect for his teammates and his team."
Well, it doesn't look like Keim and Polian will see eye-to-eye on this one.
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.
- House of Cards Camp Awards - Friday August 22Doug & Wolf announce the winners of the 2014 House of Cards Camp Awards.
- Max Starks, Cardinals offenisve lineman - Friday August 22Cardinals offensive lineman Max Starks is excited to be reunited with Bruce Arians.
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Friday August 22Michael Bidwill discusses preparing for the Super Bowl without the help of the City of Glendale.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.