Updated Apr 28, 2013 - 12:22 am
Cardinals use first of two sixth rounds picks on Texas A&M's Ryan Swope
In 2011, the 6-foot-1 wideout broke program records for receptions (89) and receiving yards (1,207) in a season. For his efforts, Swope was named to the second team All-Big-12.
In 2012, Swope adjusted nicely to new head coach Kevin Sumlin's up-tempo offense. The Austin native caught 72 passes for 913 yards and 8 touchdowns.
Swope's stock may have fallen in part because of his past medical history with head injuries. At College Station, he reportedly suffered four concussions.
Still, the newest Cardinal said he feels just fine.
"I feel 100 percent right now," Swope said in a conference call Saturday. "I've had a few minor head injuries, but never missed a game. I feel great and I'm blessed to be an Arizona Cardinal. It's just a great opportunity."
The Aggies wide receiver received plenty of attention at the 2013 NFL Combine after he ran an impressive 4.34 in the 40-yard dash. Swope was the second straight offensive skill player to be taken by the Cardinals Saturday.
He admitted that the opportunity to work with one of the greatest wideouts in the game, Larry Fitzgerald, is one he can't wait to have.
"It's a dream come true," said Swope. "I grew up watching him play. He's an incredible player and I'm anxious to meet him and see what he brings. He's such a talented receiver, and I'm excited to see him on the field and to meet a guy like that."
The feeling appears to be mutual.
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.