Updated Apr 28, 2013 - 12:22 am
Cardinals use first of two sixth rounds picks on Texas A&M's Ryan Swope
In 2011, the 6-foot-1 wideout broke program records for receptions (89) and receiving yards (1,207) in a season. For his efforts, Swope was named to the second team All-Big-12.
In 2012, Swope adjusted nicely to new head coach Kevin Sumlin's up-tempo offense. The Austin native caught 72 passes for 913 yards and 8 touchdowns.
Swope's stock may have fallen in part because of his past medical history with head injuries. At College Station, he reportedly suffered four concussions.
Still, the newest Cardinal said he feels just fine.
"I feel 100 percent right now," Swope said in a conference call Saturday. "I've had a few minor head injuries, but never missed a game. I feel great and I'm blessed to be an Arizona Cardinal. It's just a great opportunity."
The Aggies wide receiver received plenty of attention at the 2013 NFL Combine after he ran an impressive 4.34 in the 40-yard dash. Swope was the second straight offensive skill player to be taken by the Cardinals Saturday.
He admitted that the opportunity to work with one of the greatest wideouts in the game, Larry Fitzgerald, is one he can't wait to have.
"It's a dream come true," said Swope. "I grew up watching him play. He's an incredible player and I'm anxious to meet him and see what he brings. He's such a talented receiver, and I'm excited to see him on the field and to meet a guy like that."
The feeling appears to be mutual.
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!