Updated Apr 28, 2013 - 12:22 am
Cardinals use first of two sixth rounds picks on Texas A&M's Ryan Swope
In 2011, the 6-foot-1 wideout broke program records for receptions (89) and receiving yards (1,207) in a season. For his efforts, Swope was named to the second team All-Big-12.
In 2012, Swope adjusted nicely to new head coach Kevin Sumlin's up-tempo offense. The Austin native caught 72 passes for 913 yards and 8 touchdowns.
Swope's stock may have fallen in part because of his past medical history with head injuries. At College Station, he reportedly suffered four concussions.
Still, the newest Cardinal said he feels just fine.
"I feel 100 percent right now," Swope said in a conference call Saturday. "I've had a few minor head injuries, but never missed a game. I feel great and I'm blessed to be an Arizona Cardinal. It's just a great opportunity."
The Aggies wide receiver received plenty of attention at the 2013 NFL Combine after he ran an impressive 4.34 in the 40-yard dash. Swope was the second straight offensive skill player to be taken by the Cardinals Saturday.
He admitted that the opportunity to work with one of the greatest wideouts in the game, Larry Fitzgerald, is one he can't wait to have.
"It's a dream come true," said Swope. "I grew up watching him play. He's an incredible player and I'm anxious to meet him and see what he brings. He's such a talented receiver, and I'm excited to see him on the field and to meet a guy like that."
The feeling appears to be mutual.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up