Updated Apr 28, 2013 - 12:22 am
Cardinals use first of two sixth rounds picks on Texas A&M's Ryan Swope
In 2011, the 6-foot-1 wideout broke program records for receptions (89) and receiving yards (1,207) in a season. For his efforts, Swope was named to the second team All-Big-12.
In 2012, Swope adjusted nicely to new head coach Kevin Sumlin's up-tempo offense. The Austin native caught 72 passes for 913 yards and 8 touchdowns.
Swope's stock may have fallen in part because of his past medical history with head injuries. At College Station, he reportedly suffered four concussions.
Still, the newest Cardinal said he feels just fine.
"I feel 100 percent right now," Swope said in a conference call Saturday. "I've had a few minor head injuries, but never missed a game. I feel great and I'm blessed to be an Arizona Cardinal. It's just a great opportunity."
The Aggies wide receiver received plenty of attention at the 2013 NFL Combine after he ran an impressive 4.34 in the 40-yard dash. Swope was the second straight offensive skill player to be taken by the Cardinals Saturday.
He admitted that the opportunity to work with one of the greatest wideouts in the game, Larry Fitzgerald, is one he can't wait to have.
"It's a dream come true," said Swope. "I grew up watching him play. He's an incredible player and I'm anxious to meet him and see what he brings. He's such a talented receiver, and I'm excited to see him on the field and to meet a guy like that."
The feeling appears to be mutual.
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Arizona Cardinals' 2014 schedule released
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Alabama QB A.J. McCarron
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.