Updated Apr 28, 2013 - 12:24 am
Cardinals use seventh-round pick on Rutgers TE D.C. Jefferson
General manager Steve Keim used the the Cardinals' seventh-round selection on Rutgers tight end D.C. Jefferson.
In four years at Rutgers, Jefferson, considered to be primarily a blocking tight end, caught 47 passes for 560 yards and two touchdowns. The 6-foot-6 tight end recorded a career-high 20 catches and 168 receiving yards during his senior season.
D.C. was a nickname Jefferson was given growing up and stands for former NFL quarterback Daunte Culpepper. The new Cardinals tight end was actually a quarterback coming out of high school in Winter Haven, Florida.
"When I step on the line as a tight end, I'm a quarterback in mindset," Jefferson said. "I take control...and it's do or die every time the ball is snapped."
In addition to his versatility, it seems Jefferson also has a sense of humor. When asked by a member of the media during his conference call if he expected to be drafted, the Rutgers tight end responded confidently.
"I expected to be the first player taken in the first round," said Jefferson. "But, it didn't work out that way."
Jefferson was briefly hospitalized back in February after suffering a pectoral injury during the bench press portion of the 2013 NFL Combine.
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Larry Fitzgerald celebrity softball game this Saturday
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- Arizona Cardinals' Terry McDonough: Emotion not a good tool for evaluating draft talent
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?