Updated Apr 28, 2013 - 12:24 am
Cardinals use seventh-round pick on Rutgers TE D.C. Jefferson
General manager Steve Keim used the the Cardinals' seventh-round selection on Rutgers tight end D.C. Jefferson.
In four years at Rutgers, Jefferson, considered to be primarily a blocking tight end, caught 47 passes for 560 yards and two touchdowns. The 6-foot-6 tight end recorded a career-high 20 catches and 168 receiving yards during his senior season.
D.C. was a nickname Jefferson was given growing up and stands for former NFL quarterback Daunte Culpepper. The new Cardinals tight end was actually a quarterback coming out of high school in Winter Haven, Florida.
"When I step on the line as a tight end, I'm a quarterback in mindset," Jefferson said. "I take control...and it's do or die every time the ball is snapped."
In addition to his versatility, it seems Jefferson also has a sense of humor. When asked by a member of the media during his conference call if he expected to be drafted, the Rutgers tight end responded confidently.
"I expected to be the first player taken in the first round," said Jefferson. "But, it didn't work out that way."
Jefferson was briefly hospitalized back in February after suffering a pectoral injury during the bench press portion of the 2013 NFL Combine.
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?